Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Old Man & Anthony Quinn ( aka the 2 Tonys)


click image to enlarge

Have any of you had family members start giving stuff to you, because they either know they are dying or they just want to entrust items to people who they know will take care of it? Well, on my last trip back home my Uncle ( my dad's brother ) had given me a box of stuff that he had when my old man passed away, I guess he felt I was old enough and would really look after all the things he had amassed.....It could also be I am now married and he knew that the drinkin' and carousin' had come to an end.

I was grateful, because my old man had passed when I was 13 and through moves, family rifts etc.. There had not been to many things of his left behind, a few really nice items, but here was my uncle giving me links to the past. One of the many things he had given to me were old photos when my dad was young, we were looking through a bunch...One was my dad having a drink with some of his buddy's at the Copa Cabana Club, another was of my old man with a set of drums, playing in a jazz band ( I am also a drummer, but didn't know my dad was until AFTER I had learned..Another weird thing was that I had a cherry red drumset...So did my dad)...But then I saw the one picture of my Old Man and...Anthony Quinn.

The story behind the photo is that my father ( he is pictured on the right )was in the Army serving in Italy at the time. My father had learned to ride horses, he had a reputation for being a good horsemen( he eventually became a Mounted Patrolmen for the Newark Police Department until they dismantled the program in the late 70's), so while serving in Italy he had taken a job as a hosemen/stuntman for the film "Barabas" which starred Anthony Quinn....This photo was from their meeting on the set.

It was a nice time capsule and a nice piece to have of my father.

3 comments:

Newsquirt said...

that's awesome man. Thanks for sharing. Cool to see a pic of your dad. I bet it was fun and hard the same time to go through all those old photos.

~j

El Snoozo said...

I think the best part of looking at all those pics was seeing my dad, just being a young guy..We always see our fathers as "Dad" when we are young. I think when your older you start to bond with fathers in a "friend" type mode almost.Mainly because when your older you can share a beer and go golfing with your dad.

So with these pics it was nice to see my dad just being one of the guys, hanging with his pals or his brother's..Because it's the stories and the pictures that really show what a full life he had, in a brief time.

ok said...

Great picture. Can you see your dad in the Barabas film? Handsome fellow.