Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Lil Bit O' Lifedrawing











Lifedrawing is one of those "essentials" you must master if one hopes to achieve the glamorous life of an arteest...The Glamorous life pretty much involves wearing shorts to work and being allowed to have a "toy budget".
Lifedrawing is actually one of the most worthwhile skills you need, it is one of the first things any company looks at in your portfolio. I remember when submitting my portfolio to Disney, all they wanted to see was life sketches, they didn't give two Mickey Mouse shits about looking at your animation, they wanted to see if you could draw.
I know that most non-artists ( at least my friends ) think that it's all about seeing nekkid ladies and boobies, and even though I'll admire it when it's there, drawing the human figure, is really much different then going to strip joints. You really get into the form of a body the pose it makes and get caught up in the details of a face or hands.
We have non-nude lifedrawing at my work, to keep us sketching, especially since most game ( hell and now feature ) animation work is done through computer, and taking it back to the basics of pencil and paper really does help, just in terms of pose, gesture and attitude...Gotta kick it "old school" every now and then!
The sketch above is from one of the first lifedrawing sessions I had gone to after taking a long hiatus..I like the pose and the emotion on her face, but her arm is a bit "rubbery" almost like Olive Oyls, but that's more reason for me to keep up with the sketching.

L8r

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is interesting, I've been looking around to get some ideas for our blog. Haven't started yet. I'm hoping you can give some advise. Here's my topic and website. Please take a look.

long island fisherman . It pretty much covers long island fisherman related stuff.

Come and check it out and if you can suggest something I would love to hear your advice :-)

Best regards,

Lonny